SUBJECT: Heads-up for Writing and Submitting Abstracts & Papers to PAPG-SPE’s annual conference, “Annual Technical Convention Pakistan” (ATCP).
Dear petroleum professionals in Oil & Gas Upstream sector,
After the closeout of last year’s SPE-PAPG annual technical event ATS2019 on 28 April, 2020, we have been cautiously evaluating the likely prolongation of COVID-19 situation and its impact on E&P businesses in Q4, 2020. HSE and your well-being being most important to us, we have been wary of potential hazards of holding a large-scale interactive gathering and its likely impact on the businesses through the participating staff. At the same time, this annual technical convention is a unique opportunity for all the upstream technical communities of practice (Petroleum Geosciences, Petroleum Engineering, Commercial & regulatory affairs, HSE & CSR) to come together and exchange ideas and challenges in the presence of top managements of the companies and various office holders & regulators. And sometimes this is the only time of the year when many of us actually see each other and sit together face to face. Therefore, there is concern that holding the convention ONLINE might not serve its purpose & spirit to the fullest. .
In this backdrop, keeping in view how the COVID-19 situation evolves after Eid and Moharram events, PAPG and SPE Pakistan leadership would evaluate the situation and announce a safer and more effective mode and time of the event. In the meantime, however, we are requesting all the potential authors and presenters to prepare and keep ready their paper submissions. By mid September, we would announce PAPG-SPE Pakistan annual conference theme, thematic sessions, technical committee & chairman along with co-chairs G&G and Petroleum Engineering who would receive the Abstracts and run peer review process.
Theme of the Convention
We invite E&P professionals and related stakeholders to propose a theme for this year’s conference, Annual Technical Convention Pakistan (ATCP), while keeping in view the kind of opportunities and challenges that our communities of practice and businesses face in today’s fast evolving energy landscape. To provide direction though, I encourage all especially the authors to direct the focus of their submissions this year to the following:
- Value-adding workflows and tools & technologies of new decade 2020 as required but not fully implemented in:
- Mature oil, gas and gas-condensate fields of Pakistan.
- Brownfield & greenfield exploration, and adding new Plays in mature basins.
- New Play concepts, tools & technologies, new evolving workstreams and techno-commercial strategies as helpful for the exploitation of:
- Frontier basins such as Bannu Basin, Kirthar & Sulaiman Interior Foldbelts, Kharan Basin, Indus Offshore & Makran Offshore, and
- Stranded fields and Marginal fields.
- Ways & means of improving exploration performance (historical) in New Plays and Frontier basins for expedient monetization.
We invite E&P professionals and related stakeholders to propose a theme for this year’s conference, Annual Technical Convention Pakistan (ATCP), while keeping in view the kind of opportunities and challenges that our communities of practice and businesses face in today’s fast evolving energy landscape.
THEME ideas submission:
The proposed theme should consist of a small phrase of 4-8 words (< 70 letters) maximum, Theme idea must be submitted online by 30 August, 2020 (see “Theme” section of atcpakistan website), The best themes would be put up for voting by the PAPG & SPE Pakistan members to select the best.
Technical Papers Submission and Review Process:
As I have also written in previous years, papers and presentations' quality in this annual technical convention reflects on the professional and technical caliber of all of us. To that end, and to ensure quality submissions and give ample lead time, PAPG & SPE Pakistan would ensure an independent reviewers body, not influenced by any organization or office holders. Papers must fulfill the following conditions:
- Original ideas and content. Paragraphs or figures previously published in a journal or conference proceedings must have proper ‘reference’.
- Papers with substantial addition of new data & analysis to author/s’ own old papers may be submitted by properly referring to the previous work.
- No subtle or blatant duplication of others’ papers or parts thereof (plagiarism).
- All the co-authors must have made direct and original contribution to the paper.
- Authors and their papers must meet all scholastic and ethical requirements of international research journals and regulatory bodies.
Potential authors/co-authors are requested to have ready their 250-words Extended Abstracts, each with minimum 3 figures/drawings (professionally drafted, well annotated and well explained), for submission by September 15th, 2020.
Following is the timeframe:
All the potential authors/co-authors are requested to have ready their 250-words Extended Abstracts, each with minimum 3 figures/drawings (professionally drafted, well annotated and well explained), for submission by September 15th, 2020.
Final peer-reviewed manuscripts would be required by October 30th, 2020.
I expect a warmer and more enthusiastic response this year from our more senior technical professionals in E&P companies who remain very busy with the businesses despite wanting to contribute. Please take this as an opportunity rather than a burden, and engage and guide your less senior and younger colleagues to prepare a paper on that novel approach or workflow, a discovery or appraisal, a field development practice, or a value-add technology deployment in your asset. We all owe this to our Upstream O&G community, to our younger colleagues and to the country in general.
Please forward to all the Geosciences, Petroleum Engineering, Commercial & Legal and HSE/CSR professionals you know in and outside Pakistan.
HOPE TO HOLD A SAFE AND PRODUCTIVE ATC in December or February after COVID minimizes and TCM/OCM season is over.
For Technical Queries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Nadeem Ahmad
On Behalf of SPE Pakistan and PAPG
August 9, 2020